The Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS) is the largest teaching union in Scotland. Founded in 1847 the EIS is also the oldest teaching union in the world.
- We have developed a central role as one of the most respected voices in education in Scotland. We have a commitment to high standards of education and to a society which offers young people the best opportunities in education, training as well as social and cultural development
- More information about our history, from its origins to the present day, can be found in our history section
- Since the 1970s we have played a full part in the trade union movement in Scotland, across the UK and internationally, through affiliation to and active participation in the following trade union organisations:
- Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC)
- Trades Union Congress (TUC)
- Education International (EI) and the European Trade Union Committee for Education
- The EIS donates 0.5% of its subscription income to sponsorship of the arts in Scotland
- We are committed to seeking improvement in teaching salaries and in conditions of service.
We have developed policies covering the full range of educational and professional issues which impact on teachers in nursery, primary secondary and special schools.
We also respond to consultative documents on educational matters from the Scottish Government and other national bodies. In these discussions, all senior EIS representatives are informed by developed EIS policy on educational matters.
We campaign for quality continuing professional development for all teachers and, in partnership with a number of university providers have responsibility for delivering a growing number of CPD opportunities. We play an important role in the campaign to protect the distinctive nature of Scottish education and the quality of provision.
Pay and Conditions of Service
We negotiate on all matters of pay and conditions of service on behalf of school teachers with local authority and government representatives within the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers (SNCT). We are the largest union represented, and have the overall majority on the teachers’ side.