Terms and Conditions – Frequently Asked Questions for Teachers
Terms and conditions for Teachers and Associated Professionals are in accordance with the Scheme of Salaries and Conditions of Service for Teaching Staff. SNCT is the negotiating body for teachers in Scotland.
The SNCT handbook contains all national terms and conditions for teachers.
There is also a local negotiating body (LNCT) made up of Education and Childrens Services reps, Union reps and HR reps within Aberdeenshire Council. This body is given power by the SNCT to negotiate local Terms and Conditions which are known as LNCT Agreements. Click LNCT agreements and filter by Aberdeenshire to find all that apply.
As a new teacher within Aberdeenshire Council, here are some frequently asked questions:
1. How is my pay determined and how do I progress?
Pay is set nationally with progression from points 0 to 6. Teachers normally receive a pay increment on 1 August of any school session. You must have worked for 26 weeks or more before receiving this increment. Full details of Teachers’ salaries is published on Arcadia Lite here.
Teachers are paid in 12 equal instalments which includes holiday entitlement.
2. Can I receive recognition for previous service?
On commencing employment, previous teaching experience will be automatically assessed to determine your salary position.
In order to have any relevant non teaching experience recognised when you receive your contract, you will also receive an application form and guidance which will ask you to detail your skills and experience and how they relate to your teaching post.
Your completed application and supporting information will then be considered by a group made up of representatives of Education, HR and TUs who will determine whether any additional salary points be awarded.
Who to contact:
If you have any queries regarding your work, speak to your line manager/headteacher in the first instance.
For payroll, employee policy related questions and terms and conditions please contact askHR who will either help directly or pass your enquiry to the appropriate team for further assistance. Contact askHR on …
askHR : 01467 534400 | : www.askHR.it | : askHR@aberdeenshire.gov.uk
All employee Policies, Procedures and supporting documents for teachers and associated professionals can be accessed in Employee Policies on Arcadia Lite .
3. How is my pay calculated?
Aberdeenshire Council uses the school year as both the salary year and leave year rather than the calendar year. A teacher works 195 teaching days in the year (190 pupil days and 5 In service days). Each day worked accrues 0.2051 towards the designated 40 school holidays. The remaining days are classed as school closure days and do not affect pay.
Teachers who join the Council after the start of the academic year will not work the full number of teaching days in the academic year and will therefore not accrue the full leave required to the end of the academic year. Therefore, to make sure that you receive the correct pay you're entitled to, we calculate the pay you will receive from the Council from the day you joined up to the end of the academic year. This is then compared to the pay you're due for teaching days worked and holiday leave accrued. In most cases, a new employee will have their pay reduced to reflect joining the Council during the school year.
From the start of the next academic year you'll receive your normal pay until there's a change to contract, for example a change of hours or you leave the Council.
4. Why have I received a pay adjustment in my payslip?
Teachers who join Aberdeenshire may be subject to a pay adjustment depending on their start date. As stated in Question 1, Teachers are paid in 12 equal instalments which includes holiday entitlement. Depending on when you join, you may not have accrued the equivalent holiday entitlement yet, and a deduction would be made from salary. Any adjustment will be deducted over the remaining months of the current school session. As the majority of holidays fall in July at the end of the school year, the later the start date in the school session, the greater the adjustment will be. If you have come from another local authority teaching post, you should have already received any outstanding holiday pay from your last employer.
Full details of any adjustment is communicated to teachers in writing.
5. What annual leave entitlement do I get?
Teachers are employed to work 195 days a year (190 pupil days plus 5 In Service days (pro rata for part time employees). In addition to this a teacher is entitled to 40 days annual leave (including public holidays) which are set in the school holiday periods as follows;
 First 7 days of October holiday
 First 7 days of Christmas holiday
 First 6 days of Easter holiday
 First 4 weeks of Summer break
The balance of days beyond the working year and the annual leave entitlement, excluding Saturdays and Sundays, are known as school closure days.
The leave year runs in line with the school year.
Annual leave entitlement is pro-rated for part-time staff and those employed for any part of the leave year. All teachers accrue paid leave based on 0.2051 of a day for each day worked, in the school session and pro-rated for each part day.
Part-time Teachers will be expected to attend a proportion of In Service Days – you should be advised of your requirement early in the school session by your school.
6. Is there any provision for special leave?
The Council recognises that, occasionally, there will be times when employees may need time off from work to attend to unforeseen or urgent domestic, personal and family matters.
Further information and guidance is available in the Special Leave Procedure for Teachers and Associated Professionals on Arcadia Lite.
7. As a probationary teacher am I entitled to paid maternity leave?
Any teacher, including probationers, will be entitled to paid maternity leave if continuous service is more than 26 weeks. Further information and guidance relating to maternity is available in the Maternity Guidance for Teachers on Arcadia Lite.
8. What sick pay do I receive?
Sick pay allowance is based on length of service. The table below summarises entitlement to sickness allowance in any one period of 12 months. The table can also be found in your contract of employment.
9. What happens to my annual leave entitlement if I am off sick during designated annual leave periods?
If you are absent due to certificated illness for a continuous period of 8 consecutive days or more, you will accrue compensatory leave. For each certified absence you will accrue compensatory leave of 2 days in respect of each complete week of the holiday lost as a result of prolonged sickness. A maximum credit of eight days compensatory leave may be accrued in any one leave year. This compensatory leave should be taken, in agreement with your line manager, during the term following the holiday concerned. Further details are available within the SNCT Handbook.
10. Where can I find further information about the working time agreement?
Full details of the Working Time Agreement are available on LNCT .
11. What happens if I wish to move schools during term-time?
If you apply for, and are offered, a post at another school, you must give the appropriate notice to your current school.
12. Can I apply for a voluntary transfer to another school?
There is currently no voluntary transfer scheme available. You can apply for advertised posts through myjobscotland.
13. Can I be made to transfer from one school to another?
Where excess staffing exists within an establishment, for example, due to a reduction in pupil numbers, a teacher may be required to move to another school. Should this be the case, a volunteer will be sought in the first instance before criteria is applied in accordance with the LNCT Agreement - Compulsory Transfer Policy for Unpromoted Teachers
14. Where can I find advice on pensions and retirement options?
Aberdeenshire Council has a Retirement Policy and Procedure for teachers which details the different options for retiring. Further details are available on Arcadia Lite here .
The Scottish Public Pensions Agency (SPPA) is the pension provider for teachers and can provide details on the value of your pension. This is a career average salary scheme. This means that your pension will be worked out each year and inflation increased added to ensure it reflects cost of living. As a member of the Scheme you’ll be required to contribute a percentage of your salary based on your monthly pensionable pay. The current contribution rates are available on the SPPA website at www.sppa.gov.uk
SPPA can be contacted by:
Telephone - 01896 893 000
Email - There is a secure form on the website
Address for postal enquiries Scottish Public Pensions Agency, 7 Tweedside Park, Tweedbank, Galashiels, TD1 3TE.
15. How do I raise a concern?
We aim to resolve employee concerns quickly and informally first. If you have any concerns, please raise this with your line manager in the first instance. If the concern is in relation to your manager, please go the next level of management. Guidance on the Grievance procedure is available on Arcadia Lite here.
16. I wish to leave, what notice do I need to provide?
Teacher, Chartered Teacher, Music Instructor, Education Support Officer, Quality Improvement Officer, Education Psychologist
Minimum of 4 working weeks*
Other Teachers, including Quality Improvement Managers, Principal and Depute Educational Psychologist
Minimum of 8 working weeks*
*this has to be working weeks when the school is open as notice cannot be served during school holidays.
17. How is the salary for promoted posts calculated?
In accordance with (SNCT) Conditions of Service, all promoted posts in teaching (eg Principal Teachers, Deputes and Headteachers) are ‘job sized’ with promoted teachers placed on an appropriate salary point as determined by the job sizing process. Posts are reviewed annually to determine if they meet the criteria for being sized. In addition personal requests for resizing are considered at 2 points throughout the year,
The job sizing process is based on a Job Sizing Questionnaire which captures whole school data provided by the Council and information on key responsibilities of the post provided by the post holder and confirmed by the Head Teacher.
Further information on job sizing process and review criteria can be found within the Teacher Job Sizing Procedure and FAQs found here on Arcadia lite.
18. Are there any additional employee benefits that I can access?
Employee wellbeing
Modern day life can be pressured with individuals facing a variety of issues such as family problems, marital or relationship difficulties, bereavement, work pressure or mental or physical health issues.
In recognition of these factors, Aberdeenshire Council offers an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which enables employees and managers to access confidential, independent, professional advice and counselling support when they need it. This service can also be utilised by the immediate family of an Aberdeenshire Council employee who lives at the same address as the employee.
To access telephone advice, support and counselling or to arrange face to face counselling, contact Time for Talking on:
Telephone 0800 970 3980 E-mail admin@timefortalking.co.uk Logon www.timefortalking.co.uk username: Aberdeen password: AB12016
Employee benefits
Aberdeenshire Council offers a wide range of employee benefits that add value to your salary and contribute to your wellbeing. Make sure you take full advantage by exploring all the options available and selecting those that work best for you.
The myBenefits website http://abshirebenefits.uk gives you access to the exclusive discounts from shopping to days out. It also gives you access to a range of tax-efficient salary sacrifice schemes.
You will need your employee number in order to create an account.
Aug 2018
askHR : 01467 534400 | : www.askHR.it | : askHR@aberdeenshire.gov.uk