You can join the EIS if you are employed in Scotland in one of the following categories or if you are studying in Scotland for a teaching qualification.
- Teachers in Scotland - full & part time, temporary and supply
- Staff employed in FE Colleges in Scotland whose duties include one or more of the following: teaching, lecturing, curriculum management & administration, tutoring or assessment
- Lecturing staff in universities and other designated institutions of higher education in Scotland
- Academic staff employed to undertake research in universities or other designated institutions of higher education in Scotland
- Educational Psychologists, advisers, staff tutors, development officers, quality assurance inspectors and members of education directorates or any equivalent post
- Instructors in expressive arts, home economics, former list D schools, outdoor education, special education
- Persons employed as Instrumental Music Teachers
- Staff employed at SQA, Education Scotland, SFEU and similar bodies
- Chartered librarians in educational establishments
- Students studying for a teaching qualification
- Teachers or lecturers, resident in Scotland, who have applied for asylum in the UK
- PhD students in HEIs who are employed to teach (other than on a full-time contract) in the same educational institute (free membership).
A teacher or lecturer, resident in Scotland, holding a teaching qualification obtained furth of Scotland, and whose application for asylum in the UK has been successful or is awaiting a decision shall be eligible for admission as an Associate Member of the Institute without payment of fees or contribution while seeking registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland or a teaching or lecturing post in Scotland.
Associate members shall be entitled to the rights and privileges of ordinary membership except that they shall be ineligible to vote in any Institute election or at any Institute meeting or to hold any post or office within the Institute. Associate Members shall be members of the Local Association in the area of their residence.
A teacher or lecturer shall not be eligible for Associate membership when otherwise eligible for full membership.
For further information email the Membership department or call 0131 220 2268