Secretary's Weekly Update - 25th June 2018
1. Pay Campaign – thanks to all who have returned petitions and postcards over the past couple of weeks – these will be handed into to the DFM later this week. Please let me know if you’d like a speaker for your school meeting at start of term.
2. LGBT+ Section – following on from success of ASN, BME and SMT sections we will be supporting a LGBT+ section from next session. The first meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 5th September at 4.30pm in the West George St office. All welcome.
3. Trump - A coalition of trade unions, political parties, and equality, faith, and campaign groups will hold events in Glasgow and Edinburgh on 13th and 14th of July to coincide with Trump’s planned visit to the UK. It includes trade unions, SNP, Labour, and the Greens as well as Scotland Against Trump, the group which organised protests following his election in 2016.
Trump’s administration represents corrupt corporate interests - cutting taxes for the rich, attacking workers’ rights, undermining democracy, endangering action on climate change, and stoking resentment based on racism, sexism, transphobia and bigotry. At the very moment when the world needs more solidarity, more cooperation, and a greater commitment to justice, he proposes to build walls and wants to turn us against each other. The current attacks on migrants, particularly children, must be opposed.
Trade unions are leading the way in the US in opposing Trump, exemplified by the teachers’ strikes that are currently sweeping across the USA.
GLASGOW: 13th July 5.00pm – 8pm George Square EDINBURGH: 14th July 12 noon The Meadows.
4. Update your Information – please take the time before you finish up to check your details are correct on the EIS website and sign in to MyPortal to check your wage slip.
5. Thanks – thanks to everyone for their support this year and all your hard work. In particular to Pauline Buchanan, Area Officer and Dee Matthew, Organiser for their input to the Local Association.
Have a wonderful break and see you in August.