H&S Handbook, Information & Support

Created on: 27 Jul 2010 | Last modified: 04 Dec 2020

The EIS provides advice to Local Association and Branch Health and Safety Representatives on all areas of health and safety in the workplace.

If you have a specific health and safety problem or concern you should contact your EIS health and safety representative.

If you are a health and safety representative in need of advice, help or support you should contact your EIS Local Association Secretary. Each Local Association has arrangements to deal with health and safety issues and, where necessary, may request assistance from the National Officer responsible for health and safety.

The Health and Safety Rep Handbook provides sufficient information for EIS Reps to be able to deal with the majority of health and safety issues raised by members. 

Health & Safety Handbook 2015


The Trades Union Congress (TUC) provides high quality resources and training for trade union safety reps.

The legal rights of safety representatives can be found in the "Brown Book" which contains the regulations, code of practice and guidance on safety representatives. The TUC has produced a version of the "Brown Book" for training purposes.

To help safety representatives undertake their role, the TUC has made a considerable number of resources available.

For further information or advice on the above please contact Dave McGinty (National Officer): tel  0131 225 6244.