How to claim your back pay

Created on: 05 Apr 2022 | Last modified: 11 May 2023

How to claim back pay

This information is for members who have left teaching, moved to a new post in a different Local Authority or have retired.

Once the pay increase has been agreed you should contact your payroll department to request that the increase is processed for you in order that you receive what is due. When the pay is processed the Scottish Public Pensions Agency will be advised of the details by your employer and your pension will be recalculated if appropriate.

The contact details for all Local Authorities can be found here.

Here are the details you should include when calling or making contact by email/letter:

Backdated Pay Claim from a Former Employee


Full Name:

Employee Number:

NI Number:

Employment Location:

Final Date of Service:

"As you will be aware the SNCT pay increase for (insert date here) has been agreed. Please accept this as notice that I wish to receive the backdated pay due to me up to and including my final date of service. Payment can be made by direct transfer to my current bank details which you hold on record" (or advise of new bank details).